What FFT Could Have Been (and What It Could Be)

This isn’t too long; it would mean a lot if Ankit and the rest of the team saw this. Read the whole thing. Or at least until you get the general gist.

First off, let’s list a few simple facts.

1: Steam showed interest in FFT. It got greenlit, guys.
2: FFT is making little to no money on id.net.
3: It could actually make money on steam as a buyable game, as evidenced by criteria #1.
4: (This is probably the most important one.) FFT isn’t that different from when it was greenlit years ago. If you think about it, due to negligent developers and a dwindling playerbase, it’s basically still in beta. Beta is normally where the playerbase helps the developers of any game work out that games kinks and issues. However, FFT never got the beta period it deserved. It could start anew on steam. I mean, come on. It was never that big. It’s worth a shot.

Everyone, I’m not asking you to think about what FFT was. I don’t think it has ever reached its full potential. At best, it could never equal the numbers of players most games have. This is because it never graduated from a browser game to a downloadable platform game. With the proper advertisement generated by enthusiastic developers and a rapidly growing playerbase, FFT could become incredible. I’ve played games like Tribes, Overwatch, and TF2 a lot (translation: way too much.) Before FFT died, I always came back to it. It is unique and beautiful. It has something special.

Think about the pros:

No hackers.
Better game performance.
More players.
Money for developers to spend on updates.

Now, I get that it isn’t easy to just “put the game on steam.” But honestly, what is the game now? No one is left. It isn’t making cash. It deserves better than just a browser. So, seriously, who thinks id.net should look for potential buyers/developers on console?

Now, what does the tiny playerbase think?

• Try to sell FFT to people who would make it a downloadable platform game
  • FFT is fine in its current state; change nothing

0 voters

2 Likes

Well idk about them selling it to someone else because I doubt they will do it considering the fact they just brought the game. But I know for sure if they do keep it, FFT has to improve or it will be a great game with poteintial going down the drain. From what Ankit tells me they’re trying their best to improve the quality of the game so, we’ll just have to see. My main issue with FFT now is that the gameplay is impossible with the massive lag webgl is causing.

3 Likes

Didn’t they also remove Europe/US servers and take half the maps away? Didn’t they also make 10 the player in any given room limit?

I just played FFT a few minutes ago after a couple months of not playing it. Really disappointing what’s happened to it… :confused:

1 Like

Hello,

I have already given reply to all those questions in other posts of the forum, feel free to search them.

and my vote: FFT is moving great

and I would also like to add, game is still in beta so please guys wait for the final product, and just for your information I would also like to add “Today almost everyone uses gmail” and you might be surprised to know it was in beta for around 5 years and you can see how popular it is these days.

I’m not saying FFT would be a next gmail but I’m just trying to say software development takes time and what everyone is doing here just demotivating everyone who is working on this project by saying bad about them.

Thanks.

But…how is it ever going to get big as a browser game? Answer that, Ankit. It should have a platform. It should be downloadable. It deserves higher status than all the c-list games on this site. What happened to the servers? When is it coming out of beta? Did you take into account how many players would leave before FFT reaches its final state?

Blade…Get a bit real now. Whats the number of ACTIVE old player base, even before these changes? When was the last time u were active in game? U don’t even know which servers game has.

Are you not listening? You read my other post in another thread regarding the same set of issues. Basically, the general gist of it is that: since FFT never had a ton of players or really good developers, it never lost beta status. Also, I logged on yesterday for the first time in months to see what happened. The game is completely unplayable. Don’t assume I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Side-note: don’t expect FFT’s old player-base to pretend you’re a developer/give you developer status if you won’t tell us what’s going on and only act like a salty former player.

U don’t ^

I’m not a dev lol. Who ever said that? Other thing is how u literally attack these devs without knowing what changes are made on coding side and the rest, Everything was explained on multiple topics, Ankit answered more than once on these questions and u still push with some things.
If steam option is possible, it would be there. But it’s not. Any .exe game is better because ur PC runs it, not browser. And imagine this situation - how would ppl with bad PCs play then? And MOST of the cummunity is limited like that. Other thing, who gonna pay fee for Steam? U? U act like there are millions to invest in FFT. If there are, then for sure game would be made from zero, far better than FFT and this one would be shutted because FRG wouldn’t change codes for webgl. More clear now why it can’t go on Steam?

Yeh, answers that I gave u are salty even tho u came here to piss on everything u saw.

1 Like

Overwatch/TF2/Tribes all run better on my PC than FFT ever has. Browsers can’t handle FFT. Also, what part of “this game barely has a playerbase and needs a bigger and better one” do you not understand? I’m not acting like there are millions to invest in FFT. I’m addressing you because you’re id.net staff and know what they are planning. You’re basically community liaison. How would I know what’s in the coding? And hey, link me to the thread that answered all my questions (hint: it doesn’t exist.) I’m addressing you as a developer because you know what they’re doing. I don’t know why you’re addressing me as a new player when I’m one of the oldest ones left, and one of the only ones who actually still reads every thread on either forum.

Blade, I just told u I’m not a dev and I’m not doing coding for FFT or any other game.
Browser IS too much for FFT, but why u didn’t bug FRG to swap to .exe. They would do it too, if they could handle costs and rest. It’s not only ‘hey, imma publish game on Steam’ u really don’t need to be coder to know how for some game or lets say better this sort of job, promotion and investing A LOT in it do half of the job. TF2 is promoted by Steam.

Ankit did answer u on that and he said multiple times how Webgl is a new thing which gonna become better with time and some things are not in power of id.net/y8. I didn’t said that u are wrong with things that FFT would be better as .exe, but making it on Steam is costly and it’s very questionable how many old players would actually play it there, since u push it mainly because of old player base because of their PC configuration. U said that progress isn’t made, i pointed on how u said they removed rooms (?) and how there is no EU and US server. And progress is visiable and they clearly still invest in this game and want to make it better, since they started working on a new map. If that wasn’t the case, no one would bother making a new map.

Actual suggestion: why don’t you guys simplify graphics a ton for better performance? I’m not talking minecraft, I’m wondering if graphics like the old fft but slightly worse would be better for performance.

2 Likes

Yeah performance matters more than appearance

Ikrrrrr

@Ankit Devs you arent supposed to vote, we need to see the communities side of it. If only the community voted all of the votes would be for making fft downloadable.

Thats all fine if numbers for voting are 2k ppl. 10 ppl or less hardly. Also, I am repeating again, money doesn’t fall from the sky. FFT would be more cost than returning, that’s reality.

Ppl on steam won’t look for bad graphics. They will go for games with better graphics and such.

Yes, devs shouldn’t be voting. Lmao.

I thought it wasn’t going on steam? What are you talking about, Andrea? Is that actually a possibility? Honestly, if you guys said it would go on steam in the next 2 years I would be insanely happy.

Answer was for Butter.

ok

so now you should act like our boss that we should tell you whats going on than only you are going to give developer the developers status grow up I have no reason to tell you whats going on and you are free to leave the game, thank you very much.

Y8 Games